Saturday, September 18, 2010

"No one person can do everything. But we can all do something.” – Tracy Ediger, Fugees team manager

I feel kinda bad, but I didn’t really like warren St. John’s book, Out Casts United. There wasn’t anything I can specifically say I didn’t like, I just… didn’t care for it.

I did however, go to his lecture on Wednesday, September 15th. Well I was still in class for the first half of it, but I made the other half.

Even though I didn’t have much interest in what he was saying, I tried to listened. It was really nice to see how much he genuinely cared for the kids he wrote about. He even said he still keeps in touch with some of them.

Some of the people at his lecture asked him questions like, “how long did it take you to write the book?” or, “what do you think was the main reason colleges wanted to use your book as a freshman read?”. I don’t remember how long it took him to write the book, but I remember him saying that it wasn’t his idea to make it a freshman read, but he thinks schools did it because of the amount of diversity, the struggles, and the honesty, or reality, that the book held. The book wasn’t some story about a couple of random, no name, fictional boys. It was true. All of it. These kids, this team, are real.
(the Fugees>)

No comments:

Post a Comment